Thursday, April 17, 2014

Power in the Low Places

On this Maundy Thursday, my favorite in the church year, I am grateful for so many things. I have never been a "high church" person, and I support liturgy when it works. But when it comes to worship, I am the first in line to mix something up or break something down if it's not working. I'm one of the first to ask, "why is this important?" when it comes to sacred space. But Holy Week? Holy Week works for me. As a pastor, there are certain things that I find particularly sacred. I love the smell of lilies when they arrive and fill the church with the scent of new life and beauty. I am grateful for the ways that the whole community comes together to create these extra worship opportunities--the choir on Friday, the lay worship leaders all week. Most of all, I love the heartache and tenderness that is at the heart of Maundy Thursday.

 In our community, the ministers lead the church in a foot washing ceremony. I am so grateful to those who open themselves to the vulnerability of this practice. They allow themselves to be served, and cared for. That's not always easy. This act of service and love  is followed by the story of the last supper, and the subsequent betrayal of Jesus by his friends. I find power in hanging in the low places, the vulnerable moments, the times where I most find myself at work in the scriptures. Nobody wants to be a disappointment. Nobody wants to be a betrayer. But everybody is, at some point in their lives. I find the discomfort of those moments strangely comforting, because at least I'm not alone. It is the nature of faith and life and love. There is power in staring our imperfections in the face. There is courage in hanging in the low places. Easter is coming. But not yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment